PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin G5000
Thread: Garmin G5000
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 11:52
Chinchilla.612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far we've had very few operational problems with the G5000 software, although there are still some issues they are working on. There are some elements which have not yet been certified, such as the performance data, but we are told that this should be available later this year.

As for ease of use - it is a very intuitive system indeed. Although I loved flying with the Proline 21, I have found the G5000 to be no less capable and much more user friendly. If you can work an iPad (or similar) then the touch screen controls of the G5000 will be very familiar. Pretty much everything is linked too, so if you find information in one database, you can transfer it and use it elsewhere much more easily than with the Collins.

The ability to build a complete Vnav profile, including speeds for both climb and descent combined with the full profile autothrottles makes operations even easier! Even complex departures or arrivals with lots of step climb/descent points and speed changes seem to be handled well by it.

So far, the only things I miss about the ProLine 21 are the fix pages and the resolution of the Jepp Charts on the MFD. Everything else is at least equal in my opinion - loving it