PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 09:15
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Of course, it is quite logical to require me to train a person in all aspects of tail-wheel operations to gain the required tail-wheel endorsement so that the pilot may then go off and fly any tail-wheel aeroplane he/she is legally entitled to.

CASA's new Part 61 supposedly being implemented in September will probably (I don't know as the Manual of Standards is only a draft) require three pointers as well as wheelers.
Land tail wheel aeroplane
 Selects and identifies aiming point.
 Lands aeroplane at a controlled rate of descent, aligned with and above the
runway centreline (tail wheel within 2 metres of centreline), within a specified
area (±400ft/120 metres for PPL, ±200ft/60 metres for CPL) beyond a
nominated touchdown point, without drift, maintaining directional control, and
stops within the available runway length.
 Minimises and controls ballooning and bouncing.
 Lands aeroplane in the following profiles:
o main wheels and tail wheel simultaneously (three-point landing)
o wheel landing (main wheels only on touchdown)
o flapless landing
 Performs after-landing checks in accordance with approved checklist.
(The standard to execute short take-off and landing is much more exciting but that is not the topic of this thread.)

Interestingly, the set of notes for training in the Decathlon that was developed by some-one back in the late '70s and used by many local flying schools to the present day says don't do wheelers in it.

So, when the new rules are implemented I will follow them, of course, however I will recommend that pilots go elsewhere to get a tail-wheel endorsement then get back to me for aerobatics and spinning plus learn to land the Decathlon. Rather than waste lots of $ doing circuits in the Decathlon they will be able to get a much cheaper tail-wheel endorsement per the new regs on a C140 or something.