PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 26th Mar 2014, 08:13
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blogs first of all thank you for being so civilized and discussing issues in a normal way instead of ridiculizing people which would only be a sign of intellectual weakness. :SARCASM OFF:
I don't expect you to understand. But there are several ways to skin a cat. Some students have trouble learning how to flare and finding the right pitch attitude.
We are not talking about Boeing's here old chap, but little cessna's. But even so the following is true for a Boeing as well.

A flare is nothing other then arresting the descent rate to zero except its close to the ground. Which happens to be the same when you go from a descent into level flight.
So unsurprisingly the pitch attitude for a flare at a certain configuration is the same as the pitch attitude for level flight in the same configuration.
You want some students to be able to see that picture of the flaring pitch attitude a bit longer so they have more time to understand.
So if you make them fly level at low level they have much more time to store that picture they see out of the window and replicate it in the flare.

But thanks again for showing your complete lack of actual understanding of what you are doing.
When you next read a book on POF try to actually understand what is happening instead reproducing it blindly.

FYI I never said that thrust for speed doesn't work, I said that either statement is correct. Think gliders!

And btw any speedtrimmed aircraft can be flown only with thrust on an approach. If you are low on speed on the approach you clearly didn't trim your aircraft very well.
An aircraft that is trimmed for speed will aerodynamicly lower it's nose to regain it's trimmed speed, thereby increasing it's rate of descent and dipping below the path. Adding power will reduce vertical speed.
And that is POF regarding trimming an aircraft for speed. And yes I have flown light aircraft solely with trim and power to a successful landing.

A speedtrimmed aircraft with lack of energy won't stall, it will hit the ground. The only reason it will stall is because we are trading it's forward energy to maintain the path.
I'd rather be at 200 feet and on speed then at 300 feet and stalling.

Good luck btw with being 7 kts slow. It's still unacceptable to me.

Last edited by 737Jock; 26th Mar 2014 at 10:32.