PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 26th Mar 2014, 06:18
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't say I've ever heard Retard called 3 times.......I've heard "five" called twice!!

You must have been floating down the runway in the flare? I can't imagine you'd already touched down and forgot to close the thrust?

Our mob used to be anal about the touchdown zone too but have decided that idea was the cause of more than one firm/hard landing so they became a little more practical.

The F/O landing a week or two ago gave a rather large early flare resulting in a float and higher pitch attitude on touchdown, the speed went back to about VLS -2. I didn't say anything to him at the time as it would have been an unnecessary distraction at a critical time, we weren't going to stall. His landing was actually very smooth and didn't give the usual A330 bogey thump!! Maybe he does this all the time

Anyway like I said if you've got a sink in excess of what you want then leave the thrust on until you touchdown otherwise close the thrust as usual.