PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regulatory Reform -See and Avoid
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 05:42
Greedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Yes I did seek opinions including yours ad astra. I sincerely thank you for expressing it. The reason I have done so on pprune is that being a forum ,I knew that people would not hold back and express it without any bias toward the speaker as one would have in a conversation or meeting. A robust exchange if you like.

I have now read multiple advice and Regulator websites now that have sections on see and avoid. Lots of advice is given. Clean windscreens, remove curtains and opaque sunshades, scan in certain patterns both vertically and horizontally etc etc. Not one advocates blocking the sun with a large object which prevents any vertical scanning and obscures an angle of about 30 degrees subtended at the eye position.

My opinion is that this obscuring is not safe and that it would be impossible to defend this action in the event of an incident. You would be mincemeat, perhaps literally.
And for those concerned: No check captains were harmed by my actions. He and the company were aware I was reporting the matter both internally and externally.

Greedy

Last edited by Greedy; 26th Mar 2014 at 05:43. Reason: spelling