PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 26th Mar 2014, 05:20
luvmuhud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right…this is DEFINITELY my last post…I promise!

No, he has explained that in the event of sink during very late finals, or during the initial part of the flare, that we control this with power (delayed thrust reduction) and attitude (slightly higher flare attitude). Ab-initio technique which is unquestionable.

If you hear RETARD 3-4 times during the flare, I suspect you have gone WAY beyond the requirement of avoiding a firm touchdown due sink, and are now confusing the aircraft and the rest of the crew! To quote Happy Gilmore's putting analogy…the aircraft wants to be on the ground…send it home…all you have to do is send it home. i.e…CLOSE THE FRICKIN' THRUST LEVERS!!!

(A mitigating factor for this seemingly less than ideal technique, is that my outfit is obsessed with touchdown zone…there is an impression on check rides that you must touchdown from 1000-2000' or face death…despite crossing the threshold at 50' and using correct technique but then prevailing wind conditions 'flying' you slightly outside this area)