PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicing manual flying in jet transport ops.
Old 26th Mar 2014, 03:59
Lookleft

Received 213 Likes on 101 Posts
My understanding is that the Boeing preamble of this:

Every manual/QRH of every Boeing that I have ever used is very clear, the pilot in command is not limited, in carrying out action that he or she deems appropriate,
is in relation to this:

The only exception being in rare circumstances where published procedures do not cover the situation.
Such as the 777 pilot facing a simultaneous overspeed/underspeed which Boeing said could never happen.

Leadie your A330 scenarios pre-date the QRH procedure now specified for an overspeed. One of the A330 altitude excursions was to do with flight control software problems and not a simple overspeed. So like your EGT overtemp experience a unique circumstance and one where PIC experience and judgement is required, I am not disagreeing with you on that point. All manufacturers and operators expect you to follow the published procedures in the first instance. Airbus state that with an overspeed your first action is extend the speedbrakes to full. If you're going to start disconnecting the A/P and A/T and cock it up then you really have no where to go in defending your actions. Merely stating that "I was the PIC and felt that I could handle the situation in a manner different to that specified by the manufacturer." leaves the CP shaking his head muttering "Another test pilot wannabe."