PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 26th Mar 2014, 03:31
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noodle, Noodle, Noodle. Boy, did I open a can of worms back on page 1, or what?

Back when I learned to fly, circa 1983, I was taught pitch for speed on approach and power for RoD.

Then when I returned to the flying establishment as an instructor, mentored by a couple of excellent ex RAAF pilots, one the Chief Pilot, one the CFI, I had to teach their way, which was power for speed in all regimes of flight, and pitch for flight path. I didn't like it because it wasn't what I had been taught but as I didn't have any say in the policy I had to come to terms with it.

Coming to terms with this obvious heresy took only a very short time. It really made so much sense. I no longer had to think differently on approach as opposed to level flight, or climbing. In all phases of flight, and ground ops, if I want to go faster, I use more power, with a commensurate adjustment of pitch attitude to maintain the desired flight path.

BTW, your petulant smearing of Bloggs is so far wide of the mark, it reflects quite poorly on your own credibility. I can't comment on Nitpicker because I don't know him, whereas I've worked with Bloggs for close to 20 years, and even enjoyed his line training on my first jet.