PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 02:05
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me share some background facts here.

When I was in the flight training business I was looking for a dual purpose inexpensive trainer, I had a Cessna 150 Aerobat and looked at it and decided to convert it to a tail wheel machine, after much research I bought the Texas Taildragger kit and STC because I was aware of the problems using the original main gear.

When I finished the conversion I was very pleased with the results and for me it was worth the cost of the conversion.

I learned to fly on a Cessna 140 and am very familiar with its handling qualities.

The Aerobat with the long gear handled almost the same as the Cessna140 except it was a bit more demanding in yaw on the ground.

It was about half way between a Citabria and a Pitts for ground handling so for my needs at the time it was a very good choice.

Cost wise it served the purpose I needed, I would have preferred a Fleet Canuck because in my opinion it is the best little tail wheel trainer I have ever flown.......but.......I needed an airplane that was certified under the aerobatic category and sadly the Fleet Canuck is not.

I sold it some years ago to a friend and he loves the thing.