PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does the UK/JAR "twin only" mentality come from?
Old 25th Mar 2014, 23:49
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AnFI. Genuinely just trying to understand.
They share a common drive chain.
Like a single?
They have the same pilot (trying) to control them.
Like a single?
They share fuel system components.
Partly.
They share common fuel (impurities, wrong grade etc)
Like a single?
Theyt are located near eachother (so they would have to theoretically never interfere?)
'Near'? You mean in the same aircraft? ''Never' interfere? Really?
The engine controls look alike and are located in a similar place
Which is why pilots require rigid adherence to high quality training?
They have had a similar history having flown together for possible all of their life.
Sometimes?
They consume the same air (or water, snow, ice, flame, dust, chemical or volcanic ash!)
Like a single?
They are both maybe fixed by the same engineer (who puts the wrong oil in both etc etc)
Sometimes? Like a single?
The second engine is expected to do more than it has ever done before and operate to new maxima, which are previously untested (for that engine).
Previously 'untested'? Are you sure?
Same electronic control components subject to RadHaz, software problems.
Like a single?
The heat seeking missile (which might have an easier job!) doesn't know it is 'only suppose to blow the bloody' port engine.
Easier job? Not sure you are entirely conversant with the way IR missiles work? Any helicopter struck by an IR missile, probably has more to worry about than power!!!

You keep banging on about increased risk from gearbox complexity. Please can you share that data with us?
Complexity causing more pilot confusion and more scope for error.
I'm happy with the quality of my training, and much prefer my chances of shutting down the correct engine than landing in a congested area at night having lost my ONE engine!
3 Not to mention that to shift the same payload the reduced payload of a twin may result in more trips (exposures) being required.
Last military helicopter (a civil version currently exists!) I flew had a PAYLOAD of 12 tonnes! Which singles can carry that in fewer trips?
The loss rate (of night twins, not neccessarily PT) has been pretty high since.
'High' in comparison with what? How many night hours are flown in twins in comparison with the number of night hours flown in singles??

There is indeed someone here with a closed mind. I can't be at all sure it's me! But please do keep trying to convince me!