PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 25th Mar 2014, 23:49
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes exactly at 2000' we will be gear down Flap 3 just about to select Flap full and be around 160 kts somewhere depending on ATC speed control requirements. A speed incursion below maneuver speed for that configuration isn't a hugh problem at that point as long as you correct immediately WITH THRUST.

Once again it was only an example I quoted above. Speed fluctuations as you know are caused by a myriad of things and not always the result of in-attention on the crews behalf!!

It's not unusual during gusty conditions to see + - 10 to 15kts during approach and this doesn't automatically require a go around if you are correcting ok.

In those conditions you will have bugged up anyway so being 10 kts below VRef ( VAPP ) isn't a problem as you are still way above VLS.

Airbus recommend ( as do Boeing ) use of Autothrust in managed mode for all manual approaches. Me? If it's gusty I actually prefer manual thrust in the 330 but on the 777 I always left it in. ( for reasons of ergonomics and design )