PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 22:39
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Tail Heaviness" in terms of physically lifting the tail doesn't say much about the aircraft in the air. All it says is that its a heavy aircraft, and that possibly the main gear is relatively far forward of the C.G. The Helio Courier comes to mind

I don't think a common landing gear configuration means two aircraft should be flown the same way, or that multiple landing techniques are applicable to any and all aircraft with that configuration. The Luscombe Sedan comes to mind now, and bonus points to those who know that story.

I do think The500man's comment is the best in the thread - a tail wheel endorsement is a largely meaningless scribble in a pilot's log book. What's actually required is to learn to fly each individual aircraft as it comes into your experience. You don't actually learn by following a syllabus created by somebody else anticipating an experience base different than your own, or by accumulating scribbles in log books.

Desert185 - I sure agree about loaning your stuff. After you've learned to operate it, the risk of breaking it is much reduced. Why tempt fate by letting somebody else go through that cycle with your stuff?!