PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Half mil maps
Thread: Half mil maps
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 18:23
Duo802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
half mil maps

I agree with you, Mad Jock. I didn't actually say that I necessarily carry the latest chart, (or a manually updated one), just that I would need to to be strictly legal. It's a pain in the a**e having to sit down and manually update an older one and I'm simply suggesting that it would be a helluva lot cheaper and easier to have cheap, throwaway paper charts like in the US and elsewhere. If I'm making a trip to another area which requires another chart, I probably don't have an older one that I can amend, and I grudge paying £18 or so for a glossy chart that's simply going to be stuffed down the side of the seat, all for the sake of what might be a one-off trip. Anyway, with electronic charts being more prevalent these days, a paper chart is nothing more than a back up if the electrics go tits up, and so will hardly ever get looked at.

I could be wrong but I thought that Jepp had stopped doing UK 1/2 mill VFR charts.

Also, I very often fly with a 'cut-out' chart, particularly in a glider where space is tight.