PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 25th Mar 2014, 17:27
Ruth Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, I'll give a brief update.
I love it, it is amazingly mind bendingly complicated at times, but we are just hitting the fun stuff.
Our course is through the vast majority of the theory, and we have all passed out DTI exams and are starting non-radar sim runs.
Not sure if it is the same in. Melbourne as Brisbane! but you do become a virtual family unit in a lot of ways! it is not a competition and it is drummed into you pretty strongly that the best way to get through is to all work hard together.
We celebrate each other's wins and we are there for each other when something goes wrong.
I have already done my share of stupid mistakes, no doubt many more to come (declaring an incerfa during the DTI exam for an aircraft that had cancelled SAR in the circuit was rather embarrassing)
The theory can seem very, well, useless, at times, until of course you get into the sim and suddenly realise how it all fits together!
One thing that gets to me is changing between the pilot side and atc side in the sim, I have to remember to change the phraseologies at the door lol.
You get to know your airspace pretty quickly, and it doesn't take long before you know that Roy Hill is gonna be an airborne taxi call bets on, and you better not forget to reset the SAR timer correctly!
We do have fun, but we always make sure we don't have fun in a way that stuffs someone else up.
Everyday there is something new to learn, at the moment I'm personally adding a focus at establishing a fail safe scanning technique because it's only going to get busier from here!

Anyone know when the next Brisbane course is on? Would be good not to be the baby class anymore
If anyone is on a Brisbane course starting soon I have a spare room as either a temporary of longer term option, can't guarantee I'll be any help with study though!
Ruth