PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 16:36
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the elevator effective enough to lift the tail wheel off the ground during the take off or does it fly off from the three point attitude?
It requires full forward stick and then it pretty much three points off the ground. To get it slow enough to attempt a wheeler without bouncing down the runway the tail just slams down usually meaning a tail first landing and the resulting kangaroo down the runway. We teach them to touch the mains a fraction before the tail to smooth this out, so I suppose they are getting the wheeler you want....

The Dornier manual advises against doing a three point landing and with several thousand landings in it I understand perfectly why!! We use fly beta on approach and transition to full ground beta on touch down, this requires foreword yoke against beta in order to stop the tail smashing down and ripping the mounts.

At the end of the day it is horses for courses, if I am teaching in an aircraft that is happy in all landing configurations then we cover everything. If it is an aircraft that has strong reasons for using only one method then I think it better we achieve mastery of that method rather than risking damage to the aircraft or undermining the students confidence. If they want to cover alternate methods then we can arrange to do this in an aircraft better suited to the job.

You have to remember that most people in the UK are doing tailwheel training in order to fly a particular aircraft and its that aircraft they want to be taught to fly. Tailoring the training to cover the specific aircraft is much better teaching in my opinion rather than just trying to bludgeon them into learning things that are not relevant for the type?

I am probably done on the discussion now as we are unlikely to agree and while I am not going to try and convince you my way is correct, I get the very distinct feeling that you want to argue the point until I agree with you.......