PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 25th Mar 2014, 14:53
NoodleAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs, it is evident that you are not an experienced jet pilot. Spare us the stories of "your FOs"….

You rely too much on quotes from the FCTM and you exhibit a typical weak personality trait, trying to be a part of a team or a bigger group of people with the same opinion ( "Picker and I" "all of us" etc).

Why is it so important for you to be at Vref during touchdown? What do these speeds mean to you? Do you comprehend the real meaning behind these reference numbers?
Can your aircraft touch down without floating at Vref +30 or +40?

I repeat, you are using a wrong technique, it doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means that you are not actually "flying" the plane all the way to touchdown.
Flaring the way you describe it, translates into touching down whenever the aircraft feels like it, not where you want it. Read my posts more carefully to see the details, try it next time, and you will see that there is no floating, no hard landing, and most of all exact spot landing.

Its not for everyone. Boeing in the manuals, describes a simplistic technique that assures the company does not get in any legal trouble from possible misinterpretations.
Manuals are written with a team of lawyers over the pilots' shoulders.
Boeing instructors, technical pilots, test pilots and other experienced pilots will instruct you more complex details, only able to be shown while at the controls of the actual aircraft.

Read the fundamentals as described in Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. You might learn a few things besides arguing for the sake of argument.