PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Official : British Airways Retires Concorde (merged)
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 20:13
denzilmatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The best thing for the old bird now is to convert her to Coke Cans. Marvellous technical achievement though it was, the benefits were restricted to a small percentage of the flying public- who after all, guys, are our customers. The fact that she used three times as much fuel to carry a load of wealthies to the US in under half the time it takes for the (relatively) poorer majority shows that the thing was an irrelevance. I know it's not fashionable to say so, but look at how much of a difference the widebodies have made- I have no idea how many 747's, 340's etc are flying around the world these days, but I bet they have made more of a difference to people than 14 hideously subsidised (over 40-plus years I might add) technical marvels.

The level of debate in this forum leads me to think that many still cling to age-old ideals of Queen and Country and the Empire, and that the issue is one of the fact that a British achievement (conveniently downplaying the part played by the French) is now about to bite the dust. The simple fact is, the aircraft was never an economic success. Those of us who think that it should be kept flying at all costs ought to take a reality check. The airline business is a business, and it's the business end of it that keeps me flying, not ridiculous notions that we should be allowed to fly whatever we want, when we want and the way we want. We pilots should remember that, although important, we are just a part of the machine. And if I hear another colleague going on about the misdeeds of "Management".... if it's so easy to run a complex, multinational, fragile operation such as an airline... well, off you go, let's see you try. There seem to be so many business experts in the world, who seem to know the best thing to do after a decision has been made. Do me a favour. Keep flying the way you're paid to, and leave the business decisions to the business professionals.

It is a shame that Concorde is retiring, but I will be sadder to see the last 747, or the last Airbus fly. Flying boring aircraft is fine by me- at least they are more reliable and consume less of the Earth's dwindling resources. And in case you wondered, there is less time for unbridled emotional clap-trap in these straightened times...