PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 25th Mar 2014, 12:16
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Noodle
You float when you carry excess speed and then try to bleed off before touchdown.
but then...
Are you saying that the aircraft cannot land and it will float because you're doing 150 instead of 140? Its the AoA that makes you float.
No, it's the (excess) speed that makes you float if you used the "normal" landing attitude: you flared/pulled to the normal landing AoA. Going fast? Flare Less. Going slow? Flare more. If you have to do a massive flare, jam on power as well to stop the speed reducing below your normal landing speed. Go Around if looking shaky.

Bloggs, so if you would add thrust and keep your pitch you hit hard?
Seen it time and again. Aircraft falls into a hole, FO jams on power to save it, bang. Spoolup time too slow, didn't pull the stick back a bit. Then what happens (if we don't touch down) is we end up fast as the thrust kicks in and landing long. The secondary effect of controls will always ensure that eventually the downward thrust vector will change the flight path if you give it enough time.

I don't watch youtube to learn how to fly son.
Perhaps you should, old man. I can't believe you actually think that the nose coming up before touchdown (the flare manoeuvre) is caused by a power increase. I'll second Nitpicker's question; who's training you?