PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLIGHT SAFETY article "Twin Trouble"
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 19:37
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wagit it would be wonderfull if more aircraft were fitted with AoA indicators AND people were taught there use...as it is I have flown three aircraft with said gadget - DHC7, F28 & DA200 (Falcon 200) and in none were we taught to use it properly. In the Falcon I played with it a bit and could see where they would be great...setting 1.3VS on the selector and flying the donut on final is kinda fun...but it's not taught outside the military, and they are not fitted to GA Light Twins...so discusion of same, within the terms of reference of this thread is, while interesting, counterproductive.

I reread that article and find it interesting that I essentially agree with much of what he initially said, if little of what he subsequently did, until I got to the last paragraph. His experience, or whatever input peers had later, has lead him to conclude that he's better off staying on the gound until blue line...I strongly disagree with that!!

It seems as if one experience of engine failure has caused him to forget the intelligent critique of the Baron driver's plan to reject from 400' and come up with a not terribly well thought out opposite extreme.

What's really interesting- and unfortunately not surprising- is that his new 'policy' did not excite any response from the 'staff writers'...they seeming to be incapable of anything other than regurgitating from a C90 AFM they found somewhere, and dusted off. The only paragraph in the whole 'analysis' which warranted the term was that questioning whether, given the SE perf was adequate enough to steep turn around (no mention of the intermittant stall warning ) why didn't he just manouver visually clear of terrain and take his time to fly a less exciting circuit.

Chuck