PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Half mil maps
Thread: Half mil maps
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 09:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Things are certainly changing. Whether better or worse is hard to say, but certainly for the more complex.

Many people now favour GPS screens, of a dozen different varieties, over paper charts. We have always had ICAO paper charts at 1:500,000 scale, but then for a while we had Jeppesen who sadly have just withdrawn that product, but also we now have the Transair/Dobossy 1:1m chart, and options to print from various packages as well.

Personally I'm experimenting with the 1m chart for long trips, whether VFR or IFR, then a printout from either MediaMap or SkyDemon for the patch around departure and arrival aerodromes. I have a GPS with an on-screen map of course (who doesn't, although there are numerous variations as I said), but would never rely upon that as my sole source of information. For local flying, I just have an A4 printout of the local patch.

That said, I think that the ICAO 1:500,000 paper charts will be with us indefinitely. Why?

(1) It always works, regardless of conditions, locale, sunlight, power, etc.

(2) It's a universal standard, and we need one of those, so that everything is a variation FROM a known standard.

(3) You need a consistent system for flying instruction, as it's not reasonable to expect instructors and examiners to constantly switch mapping system between students and aeroplanes.

However, I think it's quite likely that as the internet gets more powerful and printing becomes cheaper and ever more available, we'll probably see a move away from buying a paper chart for the year, and towards printing from the net as and when required. Many SkyDemon users, for example, are already doing that as a matter of course. But, it will still basically be a 1:500,000 paper chart.

G