PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 00:36
ZAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faraday cage

Would the 406 ELT work inside a faraday cage, with no ability for gps signal reception or comms with sarsat?

Same could be asked of a piece of coax terminated in a dummy/artitifical load.

We use shielded rooms to service sensitive equipment, while hundred KW transmitters run outside.
We use shielded rooms at primary airports to service avionics, when the door is shut with double screened rooms, a cage with a cage nothing gets in not even the nearby NDB.

When you shut the door it shuts out the world,

WIII SAYS
Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation.

That's why you can look through your microwave door and not get zapped.

However a slight amount fo escaping radiation from case or equipment direct l ine of sight to a satellite maybe only in order of microwatts. anything is possible...

I always tell the story of my aircraft where some rain got in and dripped into the external ELB switch, just enough to allow electricity to conduct through the switch
The eleb light was not on but I got called out of bed at 400am to go to the airport as using a hand held thay had traced it to my plane.
A satellite and subsequent overflying jets had narrowed it to my home base.
The elb was putting out microwatts