PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 24th Mar 2014, 23:07
luvmuhud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CFS…Country Fire Service or Central Flying School?? (I've been to one of them)

String through the ears…one hand goes forward, one hand goes back…right!!??!

I'm not referring to making adjustments to flight path for sink…I'm referring to maintaining thrust on during the flare. There seems to be a tendency to avoid seeing VLS at all costs. (Which incidentally, is maybe why many will choose manual thrust when landing in turbulence…Airbus auto thrust is designed to maintain speed from -5 to +10kts, but if some guys see VLS, they seem to think the jet is about to fall out of the sky!).

The A330 flies like a glider compared to other jets I've flown, so I don't see any reason to deviate from the tried and true technique of closing the thrust levers as the flare is commenced, unless compensating for very late sink (string through the ears). If correct landing technique is used (look to the far end of the runway at the commencement of the flare), any unusual sink can be picked up (unless you are in Hong Kong and can't see the other end of the runway!) and compensated for with slightly higher flare attitude and a slight delay in closing the thrust levers.

Again…any LONG COURSE TEST PILOTS who can confirm if there is a reason to keep thrust on during flare in an A330?