PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 22:14
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by NWSRG
Firstly, if they are recovered, will the on board recorders offer any useful data?
The flight data recorder should provide much useful information.
I ask this as I understand (maybe wrongly) that they overwrite after some time.
The typical Cockpit voice recorder overwrites every 2 hours or so. (Last one I looked up was 2.5 hours)
Secondly, given that it has taken (at least publicly) two weeks for the authorities to locate MH370 --
Nothing confirmed has been found, in terms of floating debris. If such debris is confirmed, the actual hunt for the aircraft begins. That will take more time.
, is now the time to mandate real-time location transmission?
IMO, no. Other opinions will differ. Automobile designers are not required to design their cars for the cases of people who run them off of cliffs. I see no reason, given how many flights take off and land each day the world over by people using aircraft for their intended purpose, to make such a rule when a great deal of tech is already required and installed to keep track of where aircraft are and are going.
Since it has not been confirmedHad this been available for MH370, the military could have intercepted the aircraft in the early stages of their deviation from flightplan...if not to prevent anything, at least to understand it.
The military from what nation?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 24th Mar 2014 at 22:22. Reason: spelling errors