PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 21:23
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,

I think the ideal is to ensure that tail wheel training is done on an aeroplane that can be both wheeled and 3-pointed, and that the pilot as a result has competence in both, and therefore little difficulty moving to any tail wheel aeroplane, as long as he/she flies it according to the POH.
I agree completely, however the reality is there are a lot of pilots out there who for whatever reason believe that flying a tail wheel airplane is an advanced form of flying requiring exceptional skills.

For some reason I am unable to grasp the belief that it is just to difficult to teach anyone a simple skill like being able to perform more than method of landing an airplane.

Sure there are some airplanes that are better suited to either three pointing or wheel landing, however " most " tail wheel airplanes are capable of landing either way.

Personally I can only recall two airplanes that I was not comfortable landing either way.

The C117.....I never tried to three point it...because it lacked the rudder effectiveness of the DC3.

The Turbine powered Grumman Goose....I never tried to three point it because it lacked rudder effectiveness in the three point attitude and using the engines for yaw control was problematic due to spool up delay.