PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 18:57
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. I guess I am on the wrong track in my thinking.

When checking out a licensed pilot on a given tail wheel airplane the method of landing a given airplane is what one should teach.

I must apologize for my expectations being to high, I did not take into consideration the large number of tail wheel airplanes out there that are limited to only being able to use one method of landing.

The real fault may be with the way these different kinds of skills are taught, what is needed is more clarity in the limitations of these different airplanes when signing out the student. ( competent on tail wheel airplanes for three point landings only. )

For instance when signing out a pilot on say an airplane such as the Terrier it should be clear that the student was only taught three point landings.

That will protect the instructor in case the student wrecks the airplane trying to wheel land it, as the student was not taught how to wheel land.

I think it is time for me to take up another hobby as flying has become far to difficult for someone like me who seems to be stuck back in the stone age of aviation..