PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA "The Election" (merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 16:51
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axiom

I have absolutely no doubt that Hamilton recieved a well deserved standing ovation.

But lets get something straight here, once and for all.

Nobody here and certainly for my part, has ever doubted his abilities, motivation, application, enthusiasm, encyclopaedic knowledge and huge contact base.

But it is clearly NOT working with those with whom he and we must work, Government and Regulator and even Smith and Munro.

"Fight", "enemy", "political action" and public name calling are not in our lexicon in the sense that they have been used in the past. The result is plain for all to see.

It is to his great credit that he offering himself for reelection when not being required to do so as are the others.

Keep repeatng to youself the maxim that "insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting to get different results."

I quote here a post of mine from the

"I'm missing something here, who actually runs CASA, Toller or Smith??"
thread in Reporting Points in which I offered an apology to Smith, but go and have a look anyway.

In reply to tsnake

"Agreed.

quote: tsnake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps if Australia had a credible, accessible body that represented all pilots in an impartial and reasoned way people like Mr Bickies would be put in their place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what a number of us are trying to do with the resurrection of AOPA, see the D & G thread.

Vote Marjories team.

quote:tsnake
I will acknowledge that we keep Mr Bickies profile up because he's always prepared to say something printable

cant argue with that, and I have been impressed with his silence to date on the NAS process.

He also gets the important bits on the agenda, perhaps in a way that no one else can, but I wonder whether he tends to drown others out and the media are just a little lazy in providing the "balance" or "endorsement" if indeed it is needed on some subjects.

AOPA hasn't (been) operating all that well in that area, but there is some hope on the horizon.

It would be a HUGE step forward if we could get Smith and Munro working with AOPAs as real partners, we will in all certainty, not agree on everything, but rational debate never hurt any issue and the public out there can then see real policy deliberation in action.

There is a mystery to me, as to why Munro found it necesary to start his own organisation and I look forward to having a chat with him about it one day. Maybe at the AGM.

A strong, respected and reinvigorated AOPA, will go a long way to taking forward and supporting everyones interests.

It has been suggested that the "Team" who are running for AOPA are signalling the end of "effective political action" by their desire to "negotiate" rather than "fight" with Government and Regulator and therefore represent no further barrier to CASA action.

Totally disingenuous and nothing could be further from the truth.

I believe that if you have to "fight" a political action against anyone, then it is probably a "rear guard" one because you haven't been doing the "negotiating" job properly, rationally or effectively.

It doesn't mean that you can't be "tough" and that doesn't mean grandstanding, shouting, table thumping, lecturing or hectoring either.

I hold to the belief that;
The exercise of power is properly done, by as little of its use as is possible.

It's high time we got back to that mode and off the front page.
"

So let's just get this in perspective shall we, the members will work it out, one way or the other.

You should read Paul Sheehans "Amongst the Barbarians" to get a bead on just how clever the voters really are, when it comes to elections.
You ignore them at your peril.