PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 24th Mar 2014, 15:45
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satsuma;

As I also mentioned, I don't think it will help at all, let alone save lives. If you can afford a two crew, twin helo then chances are you will be used to bending the rules to suit you, getting your own way in everything. I've had customers storm off when I've refused to fly under AOC rules, had all the pressure they can bring to bear, been sworn at and abused. The guys desperate to hang on to their jobs are the most vulnerable to pressure, possibly the most likely to bow to the pressure, less likely to tell the boss to sod off, more likely to have an accident due not only to the pressure, but also the fact their relative inexperience will cause them to get into situations that a more experienced pilot will have seen and survived, and decided to never see again. But the boss expects rule bending, because that is why he is the boss. He probably grits his teeth at Health and Safety rules, treats the taxman with contempt and can't see why his helicopter won't fly when he says so, despite Corporate Ops Manual and SMS.

I've had a lot of fun in this business, but I enjoy it far more because I will no longer be pressured by people who aren't prepared to listen, and who want me to risk my life and license at their whim.

SND