PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US SOF Change of Role
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 13:33
Lonewolf_50

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
So regardless of the complexity of the diagram ( ) this isn't really anything new. Just, perhaps, a shift of emphasis within the multi-layered activities of SOF.
Indeed.

What this amounts to is a subset of an old buzz word called "constructive engagement" on a global scale. The scheme of operations taps into the immense creativity and ingenuity of small SF teams all over the world. I first began to understand its purpose and reasnoning about twenty years ago. It a classic case of "smarter not harder" and part of why Rumsfeld, when he first became SecDef, had as one of his priorities an increase in emphasis on the SoF community at the expense of others. Cheaper and in seen as a huge "bang for the buck" model.

" If I could understand that graphic, I could win the war"
*Chuckle*
I was in a briefing once when Admiral Leighton Smith stopped the man beginning to expound on a very busy slide about the looming Bosnia operation. He said something like this.

"Some slides brief themselves. That slide holds an entire brief. Get with the Chief of Staff, brief me later. Next slide."