PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 09:57
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster3null
Right. What makes me curious is the hole in the Malaysian radar track. They somehow lost the aircraft about 100NM out, just past Pulau Perak, and then reacquired it later as it was moving away. This is very strange for an aircraft at constant altitude, but it could be explained if it descended low to cross Malaysia and started to climb back out to FL350(?) when it was out into the sea.
It was certainly postulated that the aircraft flew lower over the peninsular (it was heard?) or did it?

Going dark to the radar could have been the result of entering the overhead but I don't know just how bigger hole that creates. In a proper air defence system an adjacent site will cover its neighbour's overhead. We have no idea of how integrated their radar system is or if there were adjacent radars active. We have been told that the military radar saw the turn back and we have seen a picture of the last contact point. We have been shown no evidence of tracking between the turn back and the last position.