PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Skydivers Feared Dead In Light Plane Crash Caboolture
Old 24th Mar 2014, 04:19
Jimpet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been asked to explain why a C of G problem was high on my list of factors in this accident.
I have a very active curiosity about the complex mechanisms of aircraft accidents but no commercial or skydiving flying experience.
Most of us would be aware of the full back trim required for a full flap landing in Cessna singles with just a pilot aboard and the very high forward stick pressure required for a go around usually requiring both hands (much higher in the heavier singles)
I am also aware that one of the " Gotchas! " of skydiving aviation is the informal non progressive loading by parachutists who may not be fully aware of the C of G (handling & control) implications. This flight was for two tandem groups who probably wanted to jump as close to each other as possible (photos & video) through a rear cargo exit. A rear C of G risk factor!
The reported left turn of the aircraft and the steep ground impact suggests a stall with left wing drop ? Nose up trim ? Load shift ? Rear C of G
A ( ? reported ) loss of power at a critical time adds to this hazard.

My condolences to all those who have experienced losses in this accident. - so has GA

Last edited by Jimpet; 24th Mar 2014 at 20:19. Reason: Incomplete previous post