PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Pilot shortage: CTC to open a new training center in the USA
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 23:23
sidestickbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

I am a Captain with a major UK carrier and have been flying for almost twenty years. Like everyone else, during the last ten years or so, I have witnessed the demise of our profession thanks to airlines like easyjet and Ryanair and the like. Salaries and T's&C's have never been so poor and many pilots are now having to pay for their own uniforms and training as well as interviews and assessments to get the job in the first place. The "lucky" ones who get hired are then worked to death flying 900+ hours a year.

I fly regularly with First Officers who have spent somewhere between £75K and £110K to get to the RHS in an airline. Most can't afford to buy houses or luxury items because of their flying training debts. I admire their efforts and dedication but I cannot understand why anyone would want to become an Airline Pilot now.

My advice to any aspiring aviator would be to get a PPL, enjoy flying on a Sunday morning and put the rest of the money towards a mortgage on a property! I wish I didn't feel like this but I'm afraid its the way things are.