PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stobart Air
Thread: Stobart Air
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 18:57
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stobart Air

This week it became official that AerArann Regional would be renamed Stobart Air to reflect its ownership but also its move to operations outside of Ireland.

A prominent Irish Sunday Business newspaper reported last week that AerArann would enter into its second franchise operation following the existing and it must be said fruitful arrangement with AerLingus. The article said that it would be a British existing airline brand. Munster was called out as a likely destination from SEN, with other German destinations on the cards.

Be good to open a discussion on who the likely British airline.

I'd see the following airlines as being potentials;
1 - BA; big brand in the London market , experience in franchise ops both current and past. Could do a lot for the brand that is Southend Airport. Would BA want it? Another London hub? If it didn't conflict with LCY, maybe ? Turboprops not an issue either I'd imagine as much past ops in the London area by franchise partners i.e. Cityflyer Express ex LGW and LTN. Maybe the brand is too London centric but it has the marketing machine needed?

2 - Flybe; despite its challenges perhaps it is the one. Experience in Loganair and could bring synergies being an ATR operator on the Nordic region ? But with BE essentially pulling it's London operation next week ex LGW, this could put BE down the list??? The marketing approach may not be great outside UK by flybe and this will be crucial for Stobart Air

3 - Etihad Regional; a bit of a long shot and ties into the question what sort if product does Stobart Air want to provide on its new routes? Etihad viewed as a premium product. Many destinations on the continent (take your pick), and strong marketing activity? Not quite sure how this brand fits for what SEN seems to stand for low cost? Connections via European routes to Abu Dhabi and beyond could be offered, and the linkage between EI and EY could point to the brand being a contender.

4 - bmi; a well known branding for London area, but not convinced that as a partner brand bmi as we now know it has the strength of track record or performance to rely on it and of course marketing that would be needed. For these reasons, doubtful in my opinion. However, a strategy of selecting common points for their respective operations on an equal footing could yield mutual benefits.

5 - Virgin; been known to pop up at different points, LTN to DUB anyone, Or the Virgin Atlantic Cityjet, Athens from LGW. Not much left in any if the many examples that one could give. Marketing no overlap might rule them out.

Can't think of any other serious contenders. BA is my 1st preference though can't see BA being overly interested and then the cost of OneWorld affiliation. Etihad may well surprise us!!

All points of view welcome. I realise much speculation took place on here recently but that was before it was clear whether a franchise arrangement would take place or not ...

EI - BUD

Last edited by EI-BUD; 23rd Mar 2014 at 19:18.