PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 07:37
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are obviously not a pilot with a major airline.
If you were you'd seek help before you LOST that job.
It is simply the most rewarding career.
Hmmm. Are you a 'pilot with a major airline'?

Anyway, I would think that many of us have known occasional instances of pilot suicide in both the civilian and military world. And, sometimes even pilot murderers.

I had a squadron commanding officer who was killed in a 'gun cleaning accident'. More than one pilot has had his wife mysteriously found dead after she said she was leaving (Richard Crafts comes immediately to mind). Wasn't there a case at FedEx in recent years where the pilot was acquitted?

I'd sure like to think pilot suicide/murder couldn't happen with MH 370 but it is a possibility that needs to be explored.

Here's a case years ago from 'a major international airline':

In at least one case, a major international airline allowed a pilot who had expressed suicidal thoughts to continue flying. He flew nearly three more years, without incident, before he resigned in 1982 with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression.

The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported that the Workers Compensation Commission heard that the Qantas pilot struggled several times to resist an overwhelming urge to switch off the plane's engines. Once during a flight to Singapore, the pilot's hand moved "involuntarily" toward the start levers and he was forced to "immobilize his left arm in order not to act on the compulsion." [shades of Dr. Strangelove]

"He left the flight deck and, once he felt calm enough, returned to his seat," the newspaper reported.

After telling his colleagues of his urges, the newspaper said, the pilot was examined by several doctors and ultimately declared fit to fly.
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Pilot suicide a taboo topic in past crash probes - CBS News

Any Ozmates remember the details on this one?

In the U.S. if you express suicidal ideations, your professional flying career is probably over (unless you somehow make it an alcohol or gender identity issue). If you keep the thoughts to yourself, you keep flying.