PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF DEC's to EK?
Thread: QF DEC's to EK?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 07:25
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Plus it doesn't all come down to money.

Some of us do the job because we like the job.

I turned down QANTAS 13 years ago. Had I not, there is no question I would be MUCH better off financially.

I also would have spent the lat decade and a half doing a handful of destinations over and over, while not actually flying the aircraft, just being a seat warmer with the occasional honour of climbing or descending, while my family would have had a modest but comfortable existence in a Sydney suburb.

I could by now be an FO on the 767- junior and doing crap routes, but at least getting to fly- until they get rid of the aircraft, then who knows??

None of that is bad- there are far worse ways to make a living.

What I did instead has meant living in four different countries, flying to literally dozens more, doing a lot of very interesting and challenging stuff (EK actually less than some of the European Shorthaul flying!!) and meeting a hell of a lot of interesting people.

My Kids have gotten to travel and experience the world in a much different and more full way than the once a year holiday from Aus would have afforded, and both have gotten a great education along the way.

BUT it's all cost a fortune and we will retire more modestly than we would have if I'd gone the QF route.

Still,I don't regret it for a second, it's been a blast!!

To suggest one route through life is definitively better then another is to forget there are different types of people on the globe.