PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 01:19
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all know that there will always be a continuous supply of wet-behind-the-ears, young 200hr pilots desperate to do any flying job at any salary and to accept any terms and conditions. That is not where the problem lies. The difficulty lies with the retention of captains who will not stay at the scum airlines like Ryanair one day longer than they have to. Norwegian have provided a genuine alternative to Ryanair for 737NG-rated captains and they are understandably flocking there. O'Leary has sown the seeds of his own airline's destruction and frankly it could not happen to a better guy. I do not particularly like Norwegian, but all they have to do is be a little bit better as an employer than Ryanair (not the hardest task some might argue), and they will have an infinite supply of captains to fuel their expansion. How they handle their expansion into the Airbus world remains to be seen - but they will sure have to try hard to get significant numbers of experienced pilots, particularly training captains, to leave easyJet like the Ryanair guys have. EasyJet has lost one guy (top ex-BA captain) to go onto the 787 as a trainer, but that is the only one I know of.