PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do - engine failure on climb
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 22:49
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Too true CC. In the OP's scenario we don't really have enough information to decide if 'd' is trumped by 'e' or any of the others.
The way I am picturing it 'e' will probably trump d as the departure port is a small out post airport, the longer wider runway with better emergency services and approaches is attractive to me and I imagine a good distance for completing checklists etc. ( I'm not imagining terrain or weather en route)
We probably need a whole lot more info about the airfields and the weather and traffic and the nature of the failure and the terrain enroute and at both ports though to make the discussion meaningful.
And how would you get to that decision?
You could do a PhD on that and hardly touch the sides. Most people won't know the process of how they come to the decision. My bet is that all the decision making models that the airlines have are rarely used in dynamic situations like this and a much quicker process is naturally used by the P in C. If you google 'Naturalistic Decision Making' and then click on the Wiki link you will get lots of info on the process I'm talking about. Experience is the key factor in this type of DM which explains a lot about why more experienced people behave differently than less experienced people whether it's flying a plane, changing a light bulb, or driving on the motorway.