PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONG RANGE SAR
Thread: LONG RANGE SAR
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 20:26
Captain Radar....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send three and fourpence....and a couple of extra windows

Captain Radar

Utter pish. You insult the trained crews doing this job. Have a word.
For Captain radar...

"John Young of Amsa said planes were "flying relatively low" with "very highly skilled and trained observers looking out of the aircraft windows... to see objects"."

I'm sure the "very highly trained observers" would be really happy by your statement.

Gentlemen, you misunderstand me. Probably my fault. John Young said what I said, and if you read it again I said TRAINED observers. The same trained observers that operate the P8 and all other MPA. Those of you that have spent as many hours as I have as a trained observer looking for lost vessels/people/aircraft in the ocean will understand that we used every tool in the box to try and locate whatever we were looking for. If it was something low in the water, or of low radar cross section we used windows. (Mind you, whatever we were looking for we looked out of the windows!) Perspex windows with trained professional observers. I just don't think the P8 has many windows and the trained professional operators could do with more of them. If they are looking for bits of carbon fibre, floating fuselage section, seat cushions, dinghies etc they need more windows. That's all. Utter Pish? Insulting the crews? No, not at all. Maybe the kit is that much better now. I hope so, but I bet it's not optimised to work at visual search heights, why would it be? The P8 itself isn't optimised to operate there, and that was my point. Sorry if I didn't make it very well.