PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 17:56
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satsuma

I am genuinely interested in flight safety. I have no doubt that all the professionals here are. However I just don't see how your Safety Management System will prevent pilots who are inexperienced, under-confident, or penniless, from being pressured by 'the man'! Nor discourage 'the man'!

I'm afraid it's just a non-starter!

We all need the best quality pilots available, to be flying aircraft. They are produced by quality training and quality experience. They USUALLY make the best decisions. Anyone putting themselves in a position where their training/experience is inadequate for the pressure they will encounter, needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

I'm afraid it's a truism that many of the best pilots I have come across are, if not bolshy, then certainly the people with rock solid bottom lines. A fair number (though tragically not all) of those appear to have reached a grand old age.

It's always down to individuals to know their personal limits. That is just as true for choice of employment as it is for pre-flight planning.

Sad but true!

I have no idea whatsoever if any of this had any influence at all in the accident being discussed.