PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building in California
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 17:34
Straighten Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Matt,

Thanks - glad you like the blog. I've been very happy with Long Beach - there are 5 runways (3 typically in use at any one time) and the commercial traffic lands on 30/12 where the GA traffic is on 25/07 L and R. I've not waited for more than 2-3 minutes at the hold, while another GA lands and only once had a pattern extended significantly due to a biz jet having to go around and do their own pattern 500ft above me - and that was a) quite cool and b) I was in the air so wasn't fussed. Being at a busier airport also means you learn more about the airspace, and probably become more competent with the R/T, which is slightly different here.

I've also been happy with Pacific Air, they have 1 x 152, 2 x 172 and 2 x 172 G1000, as well as a 182. The aircraft are comparable quality to those that I trained on in the UK (i.e. a bit old but perfectly functional and very well maintained) and I've only had one tech issue for which I just switched into the other aircraft and I expect it'll be fixed within a day. The other school I had planned to go with (LBFC) - were booked up solidly for 2 weeks when I arrived despite me telling them in advance that I was there for 4 weeks to hour build - which I was a bit disappointed with - although to be fair the instructor there was helpful in finding me an alternate option.

The airfield is a 15 minute drive from the downtown area, and I would say you need a car - mine is $25 a day - not just for this but generally getting around the LA area - it's not really public transport friendly. I chose to stay downtown so that I would have options for the evening or days off flying and also if there was a problem weather-wise. On this note when are you planning to come as I've heard that June is not a good month in LA (June Gloom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The other option I would consider is somewhere like Phoenix where the weather is probably more consistent - although in the summer you will bake - even in Palm Springs in March I've seen temperatures in the 30s!

If you are coming on your own, I'd really recommend getting a room in an apartment rather than a hotel. A month alone could get a bit lonely and it's nice to have a bit of company. I've been very lucky here and am happy to give you details via a PM of the people I've stayed with. It's also been hugely helpful with building contacts inside and outside of the local aviation industry and getting tips and hints of places to visit.

Feel free to ask any other questions or PM me if you want any help.