PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 100 and 200 SIDS
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 12:59
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compliance

Hi hasherucf,
When carrying out maintenance on an aircraft, you must use the latest revision Maintenance manual. For Cessna's, SIDS is part of the maintenance manual.
CASA Schedule 5 is simply a list of things you must look at, it doesn't tell you how to maintain the aircraft, the maintenance manual does, and as you have to maintain the aircraft i.a.w. the maintenance manual, I think you would have a hard time explaining why you chose to ignore the well documented inspections in the manual.
Remember, CASA Schedule 5 is designed for aircraft deemed to have an inadequate maintenance manual inspection programme, such as a J3 Cub, refer
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...s/cao100_5.pdf
And it is the Owners responsibility that maintenance has been carried out with the latest revision data etc,
I believe CASA will come out and state definitively cessna owners will have 2 more years to become sids compliant. I don't think schedule 5 will completely disappear but the intent of application of aircraft type will probably be enforced more strictly.
At the end of the day, there is an AWB, and plenty of data stating SIDS to be done, and when by, the AWB I read stated around 2007, the cessna PowerPoint
Presentation stated compliance by dec2013 for 200 series, June 2014 for 100 series from memory. Unless you can show me where it states you are somehow exempt. Also read,
in CAAP 42B1-1' the use of CASA schedule 5 requirements..

The replacement or overhaul of time lifed components required in an airworthiness Limitations Section of the aeroplane’s maintenance manual and any ""special techniques"" required by the manufacturer or an Airworthiness Directive are required to be complied with. If it is clear from the terms of the manufacturer’s requirement that the manufacturer considers compliance is optional, then that requirement is optional.
I'm pretty sure you would find SIDS coming under special techniques..

Now some manuals don't have much in the airworthiness limitations section, but again I would not want to be the one to try explain why, for example, if I chose not to overhaul the dukes fuel pump, when I well know the manufacturer directs it to be overhauled at 10 years, if something was to happen to said pump which caused an incident.
As I said, a lot of the inspections can be achieved during a periodic without double handling, and the things found as a result of SIDS should be rectified regardless how they we found.

Last edited by Perspective; 22nd Mar 2014 at 13:03. Reason: Add sentence