PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow get what they deserve
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 04:30
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll bite

Are the aircraft 2.5 miles apart over the ocean? Thought not.
If the aircraft are 30NM apart, and the standard is 30NM, what is the difference? Never worked procedurally, have you?

Nope. Heathrow is working flat out from 6am to 11pm.
I've worked flat out at both ends of the clock, and I'd rather work flat out during shifts between 6AM to 11PM, any day.

I haven't been to Scottish. So I can't comment on the daily task that you face. But please don't try to suggest that your job is as difficult as mine. That would be an insult.
That is just a demonstration of having your head up your arse. Why don't you open your mouth, put one eye up to the gap, have a look at 'Scottish' or wherever, then you may have some cred.

I have seen controllers working in all manner of places, under all manner of conditions, and generally you find that they ALL pretty much are working at capacity, at least some of the time. Managers tend to use as little staff as they can, and that is the result. I have seen guys in backwater procedural towers working their RINGS OFF. Put in a radar, and they wouldn't look up from their newspapers. Is their work any less valued? Absolutely, it seems. Well here's a wake-up call. Work out how many movements you have at LHR, PER CONTROLLER. You'd be shocked at how you compare to many 'backwaters' (and god help you if you try it with the U.S.).
If you guys feel that you need more money, or more bodies, or whatever, that's fine. I believe your cry of 'relentless' certainly has merit. But you are the master of your destiny. Don't point at other guys and say "he should get less", try getting their help for you to get more. Maybe you will be able to repay the favour some time.