PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obsessive compulsive disorder among pilots
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 10:09
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it need to be a syndrome (OCD)? Does it have to be a sign of someone who's unsure or unprepared (or unsafe)? Maybe it's a sign of someone who's diligent and thorough. I know one thing, I am not prepared to pass such judgement based on a question in an internet forum. That's something that should come from an experienced instructor who's observing the whole result.

Each of us has certain habits and behaviours that are our own and we're not all the same. That's what separates humans from robots and for me, makes us far more interesting. If you recognize that you have a habit that may be as bad as a safety issue, or simply off-putting to others, then recognizing it is the first step to solving it. The next step is to recognize what triggers them and to make an effort to improve.

I'm not saying this is your issue, but FWIW, I was somewhat unsure and lacked self confidence in my early days of flying. I was helped by an excellent instructor who took the time to provide constructive critique that always included suggestions for improvement. Through repetition and experience I gained self confidence and learned to turn self doubt into self critique. Everyone has challenges during their early days of flight training. Good instructors use their experience and instructional techniques to help their students overcome those challenges.