PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 08:39
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
satsuma

We already have a safety management system - more regulations than anyone ever knows, let alone remembers, a rigorous aircraft maintenance system and a training and qualification system for pilots. And it is the pilot who is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft. The fact is, however defensive people get on this forum of particularly commercial pilots, most accidents are ultimately due to pilot error, as I suspect the Sumburgh Super Puma accident, the Glasgow 135 and probably this 139 accident will turn out to be. Yes there will be contributory factors, but they will be just that, contributory not causual.

I said before that I thought if owners are pressurising crew too much maybe a system licensing employers of pilots should be implemented, when such owners can be instructed on responsibilities, limitations, accidents and causes etc, and be made aware that their entitlement to continue to employ pilots relies upon them not developing a valid reputation from reports for endangering the safe operation of an aircraft.

Apart from that, I think as pilots we should all look primarily to ourselves to ensure we do not make the bad decisions that have lead to accidents in the past.

I'm really not sure what you mean by the need for a further 'Safety Management System' that corporate and private owners would need to implement - perhaps you could expand on what you see this would involve that is not required by legislation or common sense already? I certainly do not believe that we need more administration, flight record keeping or reporting, for example.