PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of learning to fly in USA??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 01:10
TRANQUILLO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

You are looking to about 30K but be careful with the school that you choose.Never give too much money up front !!!!
If you buy a package and you do not finish it they will never give you the money back(it's usually in the contract),so when you plane how long is going to take you add some time on (about 15%) so that you will finish for sure!!!
When you buy a package you are paying the minimum hours required by the low but you will never finish with that amount of hours unless you are a very very good and lucky pilot so you should add about a 20% more on the hours which they will make you pay extra at full price!!!!(AS IT HAS APPENED TO ME!!!!)
For example for the PPL the law asks for 45 hours total (25 of which minimum instruction) but you will need more instruction I repeat unless you are spot on!!
all the extra time is paid at about $100 hour in the states!
When you choose the FTO make sure that they can give you an R/T certificate as well as a licence otherwise you have to sort this out in england when you come back.
I did part of my training at IFTA and I did finish it in England.(PPL)
I will never go back to the States for training as the training that I received in England is ABSOLUTELY SUPERIOR on my opinion!!! (and the radio is different)
this is all from my experience .Sorry for my english but it's not my first language...I hope I can help you with your choice.