PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looks like Lion Air bent another one.
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2014, 10:32
B739ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flew out of SUB/WARR last month and saw PK-LFH in the apron stripped of its engine. Next to it is another 737-NG by Lion and I couldn't make out the registrations PK-LG? also stripped of its engines, but I can't seem to find news about the later.

Those familiar with SUB/WARR would notice at any point of time there's always few Lion 737NGs seemingly idling in the Naval Hangar... anyone knows why?
LFH is now flown to Batam, Lions heavy maintnace facility, for the last repairs.
And why you always see Lion planes, sometimes with parts missing, in SUB (south apron), is that it is a Lion maintnance facility.

I see a few comments on Lion pilots in this tread. Lion pilots consist of
- mostly local captains, some expats
- a majority of western FO's last couple years (but decreasing percentage)
- many indian FO's (also decreasing)

I have to say that western pilots has not been involved in any accidents or incidents I know of. Indian FO's has been involved in most, including Bali and the one discussed here.
Lion captains, locals, has the same level of knowledge/skill as in other companies in Indonesia. Most are from other companies, including from Garuda. Unfortuately, many has low standard compared to western standards. This is a problem for the nation, not only in Lion.

When this is combined with
- landing on many short runways
- often in tailwind, as many airports has approaches to only one RW and some has one way in, one way out, due to terrain
- many VOR approaches, often not alligned with RW (both Bali and SUB was VOR app)
- even an NDB circling approach (not even in the database) tracking oubound two NDB's with two missed approcah proc depending where you are in app, ending at 1000 feet 90 degrees to the RW faceing a vulcano, with a short runway and often gusty winds
- tropical weather
- a company with chiefs that dont accept fatigue etc as reason not to fly and dont like pilots that call in sick
- a culture where you shouldnt question a higher rank (and they sometimes has limited knowledge and skill) and a FO know the company in any event will support a capt over him
- a difficult plane to land (900ER)
- 5-700 flights every single day
- Poor ATC compared to western standards
- Corruption in all levels of government

Yes, then you will have a few incidents every now and then. Any company in the world would have higher risk in Indonesia. An Indonesian company even higher.
But Garuda is no better. They have the same local pilots and the same skill and knowledge, and a much poorer track record (do a "garuda accident" google pic search )

And with expats leaving, its not likely to improve.