PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 2016?
Thread: SDSR 2016?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2014, 07:47
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Pr00ne said 'WHAT do you want more military kit for?'

Speaking as a UK citizen, I would like a long range Maritime Patrol Aircraft please.

The UK currently has nothing to provide fast, agile and semi-permanent long range ASW defence of our SSBN and new carriers which in my mind means an unacceptable risk to both the Strategic Deterrent and our nations aims of having a serious strike capability launched from the maritime environment.

I would like our country to have the ASuW ability to detect, identify and if necessary destroy threats to our interests coming from both blue water and the littoral in an acceptable time frame. I ask myself, just how would we cope with a 2nd Falklands invasion launched by Argentina?

I would like the ability for Defence to be able to support OGD's against a maritime terrorist threat to our island as well as bolstering the meagre assets of the Border Force Agency.

Finally, as a tertiary role, I would like to see the UK having the ability to offer SAR cover within our internationally obligated SAR region which extends out to 30 West as well as being able to provide the best possible service to those in need in a 'Piper Alpha' scenario.

I personnaly find it appaling that as an island race with international maritime obligations and 90% of our trade transported on the ocean, we do not have this capability. Events in the Southern Ocean merely add to my anger.

Does that answer your question?