PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Knowing Your Pilots"
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2014, 00:02
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Devil's advocate

I'm not sure of the usefulness of a discussion where everyone agrees with everyone else so...

If I step into a Taxi (a very rare occurrence) I usually sit at the pointy end, next to the driver. I feel that, to a certain extent, I'm in a position to assess and do something about the driving if it concerns me. That might range from thinking 'I've only got another minute 'till I'm there', to mentioning the motorbike in peripheral view that clearly isn't going to stop in time before we reach the intersection, or simply asking the driver to stop the cab please and let me off.

Obviously these things aren't so easy to do when one's in an aircraft (assuming we're talking a reasonable sized machine here and you don't get the chance to sit next to the driver!).

In this case you are entrusting you life to person whom you may not even be able to see, let alone observe how they perform on the job.

Being able to peruse that person's qualifications will not allow you to assess their competency on the day, but it would demonstrate to you that they have passed the requisite training, have nothing to hide, and others have previously assessed their competency. Depending upon the detail it could also allow the more knowledgeable to assess their level of expertise/experience.

Practically this may not make much difference but what's the harm in fully disclosing this information? That in itself could well allay a few issues people may have - the unknown can be a powerful fear in itself.

FP.