PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 22:35
Upland Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The story by Bob Roffe is so important to the history of the North Sea operations.

I do recall, upon receiving my wings from Alistair Gordon in 1976, he said "you boys are going to the North Sea to fly S61N's. Please do not forget we started the North Sea flying 145nm out, Point of No Return with Single Engined helicopters and if you ask for that now (1976) they will laugh you out of the licensing court. One day you will have to challenge the extent of the 'envelope' again".

He was so right.

A couple of years later flying a Gas Pipeline B206 for Bristow I landed one snowy evening at Sunderland airport, serviced by one flight a day by a Dan-Air HS748 and not much else. I decided that it was prudent to hangar the helicopter and the blister hangar looked the likely place. I rolled back the rusty doors and stepped into the past. Here were the offices all painted in light blue and it was the Bristow base of the 1960's and it was if they had moved out yesterday. It was neat as a new pin. The CP and CE offices, crewrooms and stores were all there and neatly labelled. It was spooky! Sunderland airport is now the Nissan car factory but the little blister hangar is still there. if you are up that way do drop by - the heritage is so important.

Alistair Gordon plucked me from the hangar floor and gave me a chance to fly and enjoy this wonderful business - I owe him everything. I would like to think that we are still trying to extend the envelope - in Bristow IBU, I truly believe we do. UG