PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 22:26
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have hesitated for some time to post as I did not wish to interrupt or derail these wonderful reminisces, stories and banter. I agree totally that the “way we were” is significantly different to the way we are. My limited exposure, via being a pax, has seen a different culture emerge. Undoubtedly part of the change has been bought about by the tightening of the purse strings by the bean counters which has a significant flow on effect to all parts of the industry, from the baggage handlers to the drivers. It is such a pity that the moral of the workers is not considered by management not only in respect to their “happiness” but also how this impacts on your profit, which is your passengers. The last thing I wish to be confronted by is a surly (probably justifiably so) check in member (take this any way you wish too) to an unenthusiastic attendant with a less than welcoming demeanour. Admittedly flying is no longer the privilege of the well-off nor a once or twice in lifetime experience with this becoming more and more just a transport industry and arguably reflective of just being a “bus” but also the type of clientele that have to be dealt with. There is no doubt in my mind that a smile begets a smile which goes onto manners, attitude etc. Now for someone to put up with a less than desirable passenger is more of a “ how much of a percentage is this load made up of undesirables” as opposed to do we have one or two of those on this trip.

Which leads into my next bit. The cultural change is not only due from internal (miss) management but from society itself. It appears to be wholly acceptable to be rude, ignorant and totally unpleasantly demanding in today’s society. Unfortunately this like the “way it was’ will not change due to “if you don’t know what it was like how do you know the way it should be”. How do the new employees have any idea of how the attitude was to help when you could, even if it was the opposition, to the pax not knowing what the standard of travel was when all they have been exposed to is the current standard.

It would appear to me to be a one way street and we can only, those of us that know, whimsically wish for the way it was.