PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I sacrifice my braces to attempt to become a pilot in the RAF?
Old 20th Mar 2014, 19:55
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Three issues as far as I can see.

1. Why the hell are the RAF even bothered that he has a brace? I am an RAF pilot and I can't think for the life of me why it would make the blindest bit of difference.
2. If we're recruiting pilots right now it is probably not a short term thing. I would imagine the gates are open again and will remain that way for the foreseeable future, so why rush?
3. If you have passed the aptitude tests there is no reason to think you won't again. If it was touch and go first time round and you did fail them on a re-test then you may not have had the required skills to pass flying training anyway.

Bottom line in BVs eyes. Make whatever decision you are happy with. There will always be those that will try to knock you back (this website is full of them) but you'll never know unless you try. An extra year won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things and could just give you valuable time to mature (and live a little before the hard work starts) and learn what you need to in order to pass with flying colours.
If you are not good looking they will probably send you to multi engines which is not a terribly bad career. Only the most dashingly handsome of individuals get to fly the fast pointy machinery.
Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.
BV